After a very busy September launching our State of the Nation 2023: People and Places report and accompanying Data Explorer tool we’re looking forward to spreading the word about what we do even further with more events coming up over the coming months.
We’re always interested to hear what you’ve been up to as well – if you have an employer social mobility story to share, or you’re looking for a member of the Commission to speak at your event, you can always get in touch with us. We’d love to hear from you!
Thanks for reading,
The SMC Employers Team
Employers’ Masterclass: Data – Addressing the challenges and understanding the opportunities
Thursday 26th October 2023, 2-3pm
Alongside other diversity data, do you collect the socio-economic background of your employees? If the answer is no, not yet, or ‘we’re trying to’ – then this masterclass is for you.
We’ll be joined by Hollie Crompton, Social Mobility Lead at PwC, who will discuss their journey in collecting and improving socio-economic data.
After attending this event, you will have a better understanding of
- What you should be asking, and how you should be asking for this information
- How to create a communications plan that helps to increase response rates
- Challenges you might encounter along the way
- What this data can tell you about your organisation
Hear more from the SMC:
Next steps for childcare and early years education in England
Tuesday 14th November 2023
SMC Commissioner Rob Wilson will deliver a keynote address at the Westminster Education Forum Policy Conference on Next steps for childcare and early years education in England. His session will discuss the common advantages and disadvantages of family/parenting programmes, and how the learnings from previous programmes can be used to inform policy today.
This event is externally organised by Westminster Education Forum and you can register online.
Citi GPS: Economic and Social Mobility
Tuesday 14th November 2023, 1.30pm
Paula Kemp, the SMC Head of Employer Engagement will join a panel at this afternoon event hosted by Citi GPS in their London offices.
Building on the Citi GPS report Economic and Social Mobility: The Role of Business in Improving Outcomes, this half-day event brings together experts, practitioners, advocates and senior leaders to catalyse action on social mobility and provide a space for collective learning.
In case you missed it:
- We were delighted to see BAFTA using our recommendations on data collection to support their new initiatives to promote social mobility in the screen industries!
If you work in the creative industries and want to follow their example, you can find all our recommendations and resources in our Creative Industries toolkit.
- Missed our event at the end of September ‘2023 State of the Nation report: People and places?’
Our Chair, Alun Francis OBE shared a fresh approach of social mobility to benefit a wider variety of people in a wider range of places and our experts also shared the key findings regarding social mobility in the UK and how our new innovative Data Explorer Tool can play a significant part in identifying and addressing the social mobility challenges in your community.
Access the recap and recording, along with links to the report and Data Explorer tool here.
- At the end of August, we launched our brand new website which will eventually house all of the SMC’s research, publications and advocacy projects. We’re really excited to have this new space to better showcase the wide variety of work that we do, and to help us reach even more people over the next year!